Government benefits offer financial help and support from Federal and State    Government programs.

  • Medicare is a Federal Government health insurance program that pays some medical costs for people age 65 years and older. Medicare is the primary source of health care coverage and will pay for the following:
  • Medicare Part A
    • Hospital costs after you pay a certain amount of money, called the “deductible.”
    • Short stays in a nursing home for certain kinds of illnesses
  • Medicare Part B
    • 80 percent of the costs for certain services, such as doctor’s fees, some tests, x-rays, and medical equipment
  • Medicare Part D
    • Some medication costs

For more information about Medicare benefits visit, or call 1-800-633-4227, TTY: 1-877-486-2048.


  • Medicaid is a combined Federal and State program for low-income people and families. Medicaid will pay the costs of some types of long-term care for some people and their families. Applicants must meet certain financial requirements.


For more information about Medicaid visit, or call 1-877-267-2323, TTY: 1-866-226-1819 or, contact your state health. For a state-by-state list, visit


  • Program of All-Inclusive Care for the Elderly (PACE) combines Medicare and Medicaid benefits. PACE may pay for some or all of the long-term care needs of the person with Alzheimer’s disease. It covers medical, social service, and long-term care costs for frail people. PACE permits most people who qualify to continue living at home instead of moving to a long- term care facility. PACE is available only in certain States and locations within those States. Also, there may be a monthly charge. You will need to find out if the person qualifies for PACE.

To find out more about PACE: 
Phone: 1-877-267-2323 pace.html

  • Social Security Disability Income is for people younger than age 65 who are disabled according to the Social Security Administration’s definition.
  • Person with Alzheimer’s disease is unable to work
  • The condition will last at least a year, or
  • The condition is expected to result in death

Social Security has “compassionate allowances” to help people with early-onset Alzheimer’s disease, mixed dementia, front temporal dementia/Pick’s disease, primary progressive aphasia, and certain other serious medical conditions get disability benefits more quickly.

To find out more about Social Security Disability Income: Phone: 1-800-772-1213
TTY: 1-800-325-0778

  • State Health Insurance Assistance Program (SHIP) is a national program offered in each State that provides free counseling and advice about coverage and benefits to people with Medicare and their families.

To contact a SHIP counselor in your State, visit

  • Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) may provide long-term care for some veterans. There could be a waiting list for VA nursing homes. The VA also provides some at-home care.

To learn more about VA healthcare benefits: Phone: 1-877-222-8387

  • National Council on Aging is a private group, has a free service called Benefits Checkup. This service can help you find Federal and State benefit programs that may help your family. These programs can help pay for prescription drugs, heating bills, housing, meal programs, and legal services. Benefits Checkup also can help you find:
  • Financial assistance
  • Veteran’s benefits
  • Employment/volunteer work

To learn more about Benefits Checkup: Phone: 1-571-527-3900


Private resources

  • Private insurance/Work benefits
  • Employee benefits for the person diagnosed with early-stage Alzheimer’s disease. Benefits may include paid sick leave, short-term disability and a flexible spending account.
  • Retiree health coverage
  • Retirement benefits – critical financial resources can be provided even if the person has not reached retirement age.
  • Pension plans will generally pay benefits before retirement age to a person who is defined as disabled under the pension plan’s guidelines
  • Individual retirement accounts (IRAs)
  • Annuities
  • Personal savings, investments and property
  • Personal assets that belong to the person with dementia or other family members
  • Personal property such as jewelry or artwork
  • Investments such as stocks, bonds, savings accounts and real estates



U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, National Institutes of Aging. (2012). Caring for a person with Alzheimer’s disease (Publication No. 12-6173) Bethesda, Maryland.